Thursday, July 2, 2009

lets start at the very beginning.

i hear that it is quite a good place to start.

i just want to share the story of how this all happened, for those inquiring minds out there.

let me tell you, i am filled to the brim with emotion each and every time i think about it. sometimes my feelings fluctuate, from the realization of it's severity or even just from the excitement of it all. but one thing remains prevalent, and that is my amazement at how God is proving Himself faithful, in every way.

on a sunday, sometime after worship, as i sat in a chair bolted to a concrete floor, i watched the faces of children, each evoking a different emotion. some children exuded joy, which amazed me, considering they were orphans living in Uganda. something inside of me longed to share in their joy, for the understanding of being content in having so little, resting in things far more important than the convenience of starbucks, or my favorite philosophy face wash. yet in another way, i felt lacking. other faces were full of despair, a pure lack of hope. and at this my heart broke. i am so blessed, and the same love that i feel each and every day from my God, is the same love available to these children. why shouldnt i be the one to share it with them.

and that was it. God quickened in my heart a desire i never knew would exist so fervently, and with such urgency. i knew, i needed to be there. all i had to do was wait, and pray, a lot. eventually i made my interest in serving at welcome home known to my dear friends Jerry and Barbara Northcutt. they were the ones who traveled to Jinja and brought back the stories and pictures that triggered this entire thing. they so graciously contacted the operator, who's home is in orange county, and the next thing i knew, i had an opportunity to go with the Northcutts to talk about my potential trip to Uganda. let me just tell you i was blown away with how God was already making a way for the trip to be possible. i absolutely adored Luke and Mandy, the passionate Australian couple who operate the welcome home ministries in Jinja.

since that meeting in november, the ball has just been rolling. all of the little details where God has shown Himself to be faithful, and my provider, have been overwhelmingly encouraging, and i somewhat selfishly hoped and prayed that they would continue, to guide me through this journey, and they absolutely have. so many things have just fallen into place, my work has so graciously allowed me the time off with the opportunity to come back to work when i return. my medical insurance has covered my shots and medications with little or no co-pay. my finances for the trip have been worked out, i wasn't able to raise all of the funds but i came pretty darn close, and just today i bought all of the clothes i need for only $35, mind you this is a double blessing since i will never wear any of these clothes after my trip.

so now i am just waiting, passing the time with so many little things that must get done before i go. shopping, packing, spending time with family and friends, and of course spending time in prayer. i cannot wait to get there and soak it all up, i literally am going into this with no expectations, except one, i am expecting that God is going to use this trip for something huge, knowing there will be immediate effects, as well as blessings that occur in time, keeping in mind that some things will bless me directly, but also i'll have the opportunity to use this experience to bless others.

pslams 31:14-15 "But I am trusting you, O Lord, saying "You are my God!" My future is in your hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment